March 1, MVT will implement a new spam filtering system. You will no longer
receive a daily digest showing your blocked email; instead blocked emails
will appear in a spam or junk folder. The new spam filter is integrated with
the email server making it easier to make changes and to find blocked email.
1. Go to the MVDSL webpage using your favorite web browser.
2. Next click on the Email link. You’ll need to enter your full email address including the @mvdsl.com and your password. In the Go to box you can select either Webmail Lite or Tuxedo. For this example I will use Tuxedo.
3. After you sign in, you’ll notice on the far left an icon for Spam Settings. Let’s click on this.
4. The green enabled button shows you that the filter is enabled. Until March 1st this enabled status is a little misleading. The filter is enabled, but I have told it to ignore all incoming email. You’ll also notice 4 setting choices. With Quarantine means that the filter will Quarantine any email that it thinks is spam. I recommend that you use one of the filtering options with quarantine. There are some cases such as when the email contains a virus where the filter won’t quarantine the email. It will simply reject the email.
5. On the bottom you’ll see Whitelists and Blacklists. This is one place that you can fine tune the filter settings.
a. In the Subject Blacklist Filter you can add a string of words and the filter will quarantine any email matching that string in the subject.
b. In the From Blacklist you can add an email address that you don’t want to receive email from.
c. In the From Whitelist you can add an email address that you do want to receive email from. You may want to add family members' email addresses to this list.
6. Go back to the left of your screen and click on the email Icon. Next click on the Spam folder.
7. If you notice a message in the spam filter that shouldn’t be there, you can click on “Allow Sender.” This will do two things: (1) it will add the sender to your Whitelist and (2) it will move the email out of the spam folder and into the inbox.
8. I understand that not everyone uses Tuxedo or Webmail light to check their email. Many of you check your mail from your mobile devices, use the Windows 8 & 10 email app or use Outlook or Thunderbird. You can find your quarantined email by finding the Junk or Spam folder on your device. You might have more than one Junk or Spam folder and this is because every device connected to your email account also has the ability to create its own Junk or Spam folder.
9. If the email app/program on your device is set for POP3 you may have a spam or junk folder, but it won’t contain the email blocked by our spam filter. In this case you’ll need to login with Webmail Lite or Tuxedo to see your blocked emails.
We hope you found
this newsletter to be informative. It's our way of keeping you posted on the
happenings here. If, however, you'd prefer not to receive these bulletins,
please see the links at the bottom of this email to manage your preferences.
Publishing Group Inc.